Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Bourdain in Georgia: Don't Forget about Hospitality

Anthony Bourdain is one of the most iconic chefs, turned television personalities, today. Millions of viewers tune into his weekly CNN show, Parts Unknown. For those that missed it, his last episode featured his travels to the Republic of Georgia.

I was very excited for this episode. I volunteered in Georgia for 2 years with the Peace Corps.

In this episode, Bourdain asked one his guests, American journalist and expat Paul Rimple,what others should know about Georgia. Rimple replied that "food and the church" are "untouchable" and must be respected.

Rimple is right. The church and food are among Georgia's most sacred traditions. Still, I believe that he has left out another important custom, a piece of their legacy that foreigners will love the most: Hospitality.

Georgians are arguably the most hospitable people in the world. If you don't believe me, just take a look at my video from 4 years ago, especially starting at the 3:24 mark when my host family and I sit down to a supra, or dinner feast.

Meeting my Georgian host brothers for the first time

Georgia is synonymous with hospitality. Bourdain's episode may have its flaws (see comments on Facebook for specific flaws), but I believe it does accurately reflect Georgia's warm hospitality towards others. In fact, Georgians take this tradition a step further by referring to guests as "a gift from God." This one fact alone has me itching to go back.

I hope others find this hospitality charming, and will decide to visit soon. You will not regret it, despite the few extra pounds that are likely to accumulate.

If you nave not seen the episode yet, you can view it for free at: http://allmyvideos.net/zsxo1tvwpqsw

Read my Huffington Post page: 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-shvartsman/

Follow me on Twitter: 

No comments:

Post a Comment